Monday, April 11, 2011

Kat Von D Truth palette photos, thoughts and EOTD

What better way to welcome spring than with a new eyeshadow palette filled with light and bright toned colors? Kat Von D's newest palette truth, was released early 2011 and I was very eager to grab it as soon as I could.

The colors in this palette are quite different from Kat's other releases. They are somewhat sheer and very 'springy'. There is no black or silver eyeshadow in sight!

I also noticed the colors seem to be kind of 'thrown' together. They don't jive together impeccably nicely like they always seem to in Kat's other palettes. I find Ludwig is especially color coordinated perfectly, making it a breeze to swipe on and go.
With truth, I found it slightly difficult to pick and choose which colors to use where . It's limiting because there is only one deep color, Prague.
I also found even after layering a bunch of times it's hard to get a very bright look. I always find the colors end up looking somewhat neutral.

My own color descriptions:

- sugar skull is a light whitish wash of a color with a golden duo-chrome sheen
- long distance is a lightly pigmented medium shimmery chartreuse
- snake eyes is a light grass green with golden shimmer
- Finland is a sheer teal cream shadow
- Prague is a deep eggplant with shimmer
- galeano is a shimmery light taupey purple, also in kat Von D's Beethoven palette
- rehab is a gorgeously pigmented shimmery beige
- sister is a matte peach, slightly chalky but still quite pigmented

I did two EOTD's with truth, one using mainly the green side and one using the more neutral side.

Green EOTD:

I layered and layered the greens over the cream shadow, and this is the brightest it would get!
Neutral/purple EOTD:


I have to play around with this some more to get a feel for it. I think it's nice because it's different, but at the same time I feel it is 'missing' something. A dark shimmery teal would have made this palette perfect!

What do you think of this new palette? Which colors do you think would go good together?

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I've been eyeing this palette in the store, I have two others and love them both. Thanks for doing a couple of looks with it, they're both gorgeous. I might have to run out and get this now and play around with it some myself!

Unknown said...

Thank you Sari! I did have fun playing with it, I think it's pretty unique and nice colors for spring :)

Vulcan_Butterfly said...

I like what you've done with this palette! I need to get it, perhaps it will make up for me missing out on buying the Gypsy palette :(

Unknown said...

Thanks Vulcan!
I just thought I'd let you know...I managed to get the Gypsy palette recently and it's not 'all that' great..most of the colors are dupable. I just love the artwork on the case! It's definitely not worth the $300 some people are charging on Ebay :/