Saturday, December 8, 2012

Maybelline the colossal cat eyes mascara review


 Maybelline is putting out new mascaras left and right lately! Just one after the other after the other...

I tried the original 'colossal' mascara a few years back and I really liked it, except that it flaked horribly.
Fast forward to a few months ago I tried the waterproof version, and it was so dry I couldn't get anything on my lashes.
So I was slightly hesitant to try this. But, anything to do with cat eyes grabs my attention, so I got this as soon as I saw it on display.

 The tube has a cute leopard print pattern on it, it looks a bit juvenile in my opinion, but I suppose they are pushing products towards the younger crowd these days.

The 'claw' brush, actually does a good job of grabbing and coating lashes. It's a little awkward to work with if you aren't used to curved a brush.

The cat claw wand (click for large size) :


The result is fanned out lashes that are nicely lengthened and a little volumized. The curved brush helps to curl lashes up and the end of it is great for flipping up the outer corner lashes. Adding mascara to those outer corner lashes does result in a more cat-eye look and overall sultry eye.

with 2 coats of colossal cat eyes:

The formula is very wet and smells of roses. it's the exact same formula as the original colossal. Therefore, I have the exact same problem with it, the flaking off :/
I really like the brush, and if the formula was better I would recommend it.

Overall, this doesn't do too much for volume but it's great for length. It can be layered but beware of clumping. If you liked the original Maybelline Colossal you will probably like this too.

Repurchase? No

Price: $8 CAD

Rating: 3/5

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Aww, too bad this didn't work for you! I have such bad luck with mascaras flaking on me!

Vulcan_Butterfly said...

I am glad I read this, I was going to try this one out but if it's the same as The Colossal, I'll skip it.